Educator Licensure Information

dese logo
                       Youtube clipart - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best      DESE YouTube Channel                     

*NEW* Updated 5/18/22

The Department is Authorized to Reissue the Emergency License.

Please use this link for more information and to review the requirements guidebook and FAQ.

The new Emergency License can be extended up to two additional times so long as the individual is making progress towards obtaining a license. 

Emergency License Validity Extension 2022-2023

On January 5, 2022, DESE released new guidance regarding an extension to the validity of an Emergency License. Please use the above link for specific information.

The resources below are provided to assist you in maintaining and renewing your Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education License. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Educator Licensure or Stacey Gottfried at x10232.

All MPS educators are responsible for maintaining their license. Employment is contingent upon:
    1) receipt of a valid license for the position for which you have been appointed, and
    2) maintaining a valid license, in accordance with State Law.

You can apply for your license through your ELAR account. It is very important for you to be familiar with your ELAR account which houses your demographic data, education, license information and status, as well as other important documents that have been scanned into your file such as correspondence from DESE, MTEL test scores, etc. 

                                                Image result for useful links clip art                    

Office of Educator Licensure

Educator License Types and Guidelines

Educator Licensure Informational Videos

RETELL & SEI Endorsement Information

Accessing and Managing Your ELAR Account

Uploading Transcripts to your ELAR Account

How to Upload Document to ELAR: A Step by Step Guide 

Extending An Initial License Video

Moving from an Emergency License to a Provisional or Initial License Video

Verification of School Based Employment/Induction and Mentoring Form

1.  Print and complete the Verification of School Based Employment/Induction and Mentoring Form     
2.  Once completed, send to Central Office, attn: Stacey Gottfried
3.  The form will be signed and returned to you
4.  Upload the form to your ELAR Account

It is strongly recommended that when communicating with the Licensure Evaluator over the phone, you should carefully document the details of the conversation (date, name of Licensure Evaluator you are speaking with, details of the conversation, etc.) in case you need to refer back at a later date. 

Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP) Information

Educators are required to develop Individual Professional Development Plans that are consistent with the educational needs of the school and/or district and enhance their ability to improve student learning.

The following resources are provided to educators to assist in the development or review of an Individual Professional Development Plan:

District Improvement Plan which include school plan.

For more information, please refer to Guidelines for Reviewing, Approving, and Endorsing Individual Professional Development Plans.
Sample IPDP Templates & Resources:

Steps for Changing Your Name 

There are 3 steps to change your name on your MPS devices and systems.

1. ASPEN:  
If your name has changed, you need to update your ELAR profile and license. Please complete and submit the Name Change Form (along with proof of name change - copy of marriage certificate, social security card, driver's license, etc.) and submit these documents to the Office of Educator Licensure via the methods stipulated on the form.

In addition, notify Stacey Gottfried of the change so that Aspen and our files can be updated once DESE has made the name change. Please note that the name that appears on your DESE License must match your name in Aspen.

2. PAYROLL & BENEFITS: Notify Lisa Yaroshefski in the Business Office of your name change for payroll purposes.

3. Contact the HELP DESK to submit a request to change your email address or network login.

page last updated 3/31/22

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.